Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Walk It Off ...


   There is nothing like a power walk.  It's even better with a friend. Yesterday I walked with my friend, I'll call her Sara for the sake of the story, it's also her name. Anyway I feel great when I walk but I feel like I can go further and faster with a partner. Sara and I are particularly good walking partners because she one of the few who can walk faster than I do and she witches at me if I don't wear sneakers.  I hate sneakers.  I love flip flops.  Clearly, I know a power walk in flip flops is a mistake, I don't care I hate sneakers.  Anyway, if people have auras and I'm told they do, and I could see them, which I don't, I'm guessing Saras' would look a little like fourth of July fireworks.  Lots of color, lots of action.  She has a fiery personality that I enjoy.  She and I are both passionate about our families and try to be our best selves.  As far as I can see, the  only thing we really disagree on is some aspects of religion and sneakers.  Oddly, we are very much on the same plain with many differences.  My husband is a blue collar worker, hers white. My youngest child is thirteen hers is five.  I am fifteen years older but she in a grandmother, I am not.  I get a kick out of her.  
  Here is my dilemma.  We walk and rant, yup that's what we do.  The thing is it feels great, the walking and the ranting.  It's harmless we don't bad mouth anyone and have a good cop, bad cop thing going.  We pull each other up by the boot straps depending on whoever is is in a downward spin that day.  
  The ranting is mostly about frustration, you know, trying to make it all work, finding balance.  I think that venting is a good thing.  But I worry that when we are ranting we are attracting more of the things that frustrate, consume time and shake rattle and roll our nerves. 
  If you have an issue, say, with a child and you continuously talk about the problem with the child then the theory is you are keeping yourself on the frequency of having problems with that child.  You are supposed to discuss the things you love about that child instead. Give the love you have for them your eye not the problem. But that eliminates the ability to blow off steam.  So here's the question if I'm only thinking about, talking about the things I love concerning that child then maybe I feel better and don't need to vent.  But then I worry about denial.  I don't want to stick my head in the sand either.  Can you address, deal, cope and handle without venting.  If gratitude is my best tool is it my only tool?
 
elle    
 
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join me in a conversation...